Travel Dates – 09 August 2013 – 10 August 2013
Niroshan is a university student at University of Peradeniya. He and his friends visited the Haguranketha and Walapane area to evaluate the archaeological details. This is a summary trip report of their journey retrieved from Lakdasun.org. They are only visited few places in Walapane area.
Walapane deserve better credit for its archeological and historical value than it appear now. The main reason is, it has significant events relevant for Sri Lankan history including Ravana Kingdom and King Dutugamunu’s soldiers.
- Although these are ancient temples nowadays you can’t see many ruins. Because of new constructions and treasurer hunters.
- Visit Japanese Peace Pagoda at Walapane
- better attach this visit with the archeological visit to Hanguranketha region. Then you would not be desperate by seeing only few archeological values at these places.
- Always introduce yourself to the chief priests of temples and get their permission to visit.
- The road from Kandy to Walapane under construction and would be finished in 2015.
(Trip report is from Lakdasun.org)